The challenges of people suffering from mental health are doubling. They have to deal with the hardships of their ailment as well as face social stigma. Stigma is a mark that disgracefully sets individuals apart from others. This mark leads to stereotyping of individuals that later result in discrimination. Social stigma takes four behavioral forms: avoidance, segregated institutions or facilities, coercive treatment and withholding help. All these prejudice treatments increase the mental disorder stigma around affected individuals.
Mental Health Stigma Statistics:
• Out of ten youths, one is likely having a mental breakdown knowing or unknowingly.
• On an annual basis, one out of four individuals is suffering from mental health problems.
• Over 450 million people worldwide are suffering from mental illness.
• In every set of ten people, nine experience stigmatization and discrimination from the society.
• People diagnosed with mental health problems are perceived more dangerous to themselves than others
• Many folks ...more ...